Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

This morning as Kelsey and I walked to the school we were met by our team.  They surprised us!  They were all lined up on the road, pulling suitcases, that had previously been filled with gifts for the school and needed to come back to the house.  They were so sweet to bring them to us!  Once we got to the school, Kelsey, Abigail and I met to discuss ideas on what we are going to do at the hospital and elsewhere.  It was good and it helped us organize our thoughts and be on the same page. 


The team’s plans for the day had been canceled.  They were going to go to one of the centers and start painting the walls; however, there was a funeral going on too close to the center so they decided not to go.  Instead, the team went to visit one of the school teachers who has been out sick with pneumonia.  I decided to stay back at the school, instead of go with the team, I really did not want to miss out on the adventure, but I had to do the wise thing and not walk with my knee.  I had fun, anyway.  I helped the little kids with their spelling, matching games and colors.  Then I became snack lady, dispensing the snack as the children presented their plates.  This gave me an opportunity to talk to the kids a bit more and get to know them better.    

Funny fact, well, actually not really funny, more like interesting observation.  Kelsey and I are suspicious about the glass bottles the sodas come in.  No matter where you are at, if you buy a soda in a classic glass bottle, you must drink it there and give the bottle back or leave a deposit and bring it back to the seller when you are finished.  We are pretty sure that the bottles are sent back to the factory, by the seller, so that they can be refilled.  Gross right?  So, we have been careful to buy soda in the plastic bottles or in cans.  Well, today I got an orange Fanta (orange soda, really popular here) and once I broke the seal on the lid, I pulled it off and there was dirt under it, on the mouthpiece! Super gross! I used a hand wipe to clean it the best I could and then carefully poured the soda into my water bottle so it would not touch the dirty rim.  Now, we are pretty confident that the plastic bottles are LITERALLY recycled!!  From now on I will be buying soda only from a can.  Oh, and our glass bottle suspicion?  It is pretty much confirmed! 

In the afternoon the team had a meting with some of the Feed the Children and Chikondi teachers.  I was elected the official secretary, which was fun.  The meeting felt long but we discussed some important issues that need to be addressed.  After that it was a pretty quiet evening, despite the repairmen being present at the house again.  And I am anticipating the appointment I have at Cure hospital tomorrow, I pray it goes well and that it is nothing serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment