Saturday, February 5, 2011

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Today was good. It was a relaxing day, though we remained busy.  Kelsey and I had a lazy morning.  I slept in a bit and then got my laundry done.  Then we headed to town to do some shopping.  We went to two clothing stores, the pharmacy, the bank, and the grocery store.  I ended up getting two chitinji's, which are native skirts, and a hand bag for really cheap.  Then we went to the pharmacy to get the supplements the doctor recommended for my knee, he did not have it in stock but I got a calcium supplement because I have been getting bad Charlie horses in my calves at night.  Then Kelsey had to go by the bank to open an account.  After that we went to Peoples, which is the local grocery store, and got some food for the house.

The fabrics I bought to wear as chitinjis.  
Malawian women wrap the fabric around and wear it as a skirt. 

I am seriously convinced that my health is under attack by the devil.  I have never had this many health issues ever.  The right side of my face hurts, I think it is because my wisdom teeth are coming in.  They have not bothered me for such a long time that I completely forgot about them, until today, but they are starting to cut through the gum, of course, and it hurts.  I also have been having heartburn when I eat food, it does not hurt much after I eat, just while I eat, its weird.  We think talking an anti-inflammatory medication for my knee with my Malaria prevention medicine may be the cause.  I pray that is the case and it will go away soon. 

After shopping we came back home and worked on school stuff for Maribeth.  We also tried to make cookies in our borrowed toaster oven.  We first half dozen we made burned on the bottom but were still doughy on the top, so we moved the rack up and turned the temperature down.  We burned the next half dozen as well.  So, after that we decided to make them on the stove pot in our skillet, it took a while, but they turned out perfect!  The past couple days we have been trying to use the borrowed appliances but they been more trouble than blessing.  The other night I tried to toast bread in the toaster so I put the bread in, set it to the lowest setting and pushed the button down.  Within ten seconds the coils turned bright red and the bread was smoking! I quickly took the bread out, turned it off the toaster and unplugged it.  We were lucky a fire did not start!  Then I decided to use the microwave to warm something up.  So, I turned it on, put the food in, and pushed a button.  I bent down to read what it said and the door quickly opened and shut in my face! It blew! I could not believe it!  After the toaster burned our garlic bread, the microwave blew in my face, and the toaster oven burned our cookies, they found a new homes in the garage!  I consider it a blessing that the house does not have an oven because I probably would have burned the whole house down if we did!  Our motto here is “less is more” and it is so true! We will stick to our two burner stove top, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment