Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Silvester slept at my feet for a while last night!  He is getting more comfortable here. 


This morning Kelsey and I practiced a Chichewa prayer the whole walk to the school so we could pray it with the patients at the hospital.  The team goes to Queens every Wednesday, so we went with.  Once we got there the team took us to a small room within the Pediatric wards which is used as a classroom for the kids.  The classroom could use more school supplies, but they work with what they have.  During the time we were there, no kids came to the classroom because they were all too sick or could not get out of bed.  Instead, we went to three of the five Pediatric wards and greeted the children by talking to them and praying for them, while some of the team members passed out educational worksheets.  Some of the kids were scared to talk to me at first because they thought I was trying to trick them to give them an injection.  But Abigail translated for me and told them that I was just a friend and wouldn’t hurt them; after that they would relax.  Even though Kelsey and I had practiced the Chichewa prayer quite a bit, I still read it off the note card so I would not mess up.  The parents really liked me praying for their child and appreciated the effort in Chichewa. 

 The team in the school room.

Trying to read Chichewa out of a Bible.  

After seeing all the kids we went back to the little classroom and had some time to relax with the team.  Somehow, we got on the topic of Abraham, from the Bible, and before Kelsey and I knew it, we were both teaching the team the song, “Father Abraham had many sons.  Many sons had Father Abraham.  I am one of them and so are you.  So, let’s all praise the Lord!” motions and all! We were laughing so hard!  They loved it! They learned it quickly and are excited to teach the kids at the school tomorrow! 

We left the classroom a short time later (with the song stuck in all our heads) and walked to a grocery store to get lunch.  We brought the food back to the hospital and had a picnic lunch outside on the grass.  It was a nice time to relax and get to know the team better.


 
After lunch we went to the playroom which the hospital has set up for kids to go to if they are well enough.  For the first half hour the room was locked so we just hung out in the office.  Paul continued to practice the song, which led to more laughs!  Eventually, we got let into the playroom and got to play with the kids.  At first I felt a little overwhelmed because I couldn’t speak their language and some of them were crying.  But I learned to use more expression on my face and it worked out, playing and having fun is universal for children.  I played blocks with a few of the kids, building towers and then knocking them down.  They had fun. 




On our way back to the school Paul sang “Father Abraham” the whole walk back!  Kelsey and I walked home after getting to the school.  I was tired so I took a nap and Silvester joined me for a little while.  It was a fun day, but I am exhausted!         

   Random picture taken on the minibus.

No comments:

Post a Comment