Monday, January 24, 2011

Sunday, January 23, 2011

It is Sunday!  We went to Maribeth’s church, City Pentecostal Church, this morning.  It is very traditional, like my Grandparent’s church, but I like it.  They sang a couple songs in Chichewa and a couple hymns in English.  The sermon was good.  The church is very mission minded which I like.  Afterward, we went to a little restaurant and had our first Chichewa lesson with Francis.  We learned greetings, practiced pronunciation and got a simple prayer to practice and pray at the hospital.  While Maribeth was getting her lesson, she sent Kelsey and me to the market down the street to buy lettuce for lunch.  


We take our umbrellas with us everywhere.  Here, they are used more for shade out of the sun than for rain.  It is totally normal.  We did it today on our way to church and on our way home.  It is funny because it kind of makes me feel like Mary Poppins! J

After that we walked home and chilled.  I did my laundry.  It was a new experience hand washing everything and hanging it out on the line to dry.  I boiled the water and put it in two separate buckets, a bucket for washing and a bucket for rinsing.  Then I hung the wet clothes on a line.  We have a clothes line outside but we also have one going across our family room for hang clothes if it’s raining or at night.  Because it was late in the evening, I hung my clothes in the family and will move them outside to finish drying tomorrow. 


It sounds like we are getting the cat! Tomorrow the family is coming over to see where the cat will be living.  This will help the little boy with the process of giving his cat away.  I do not know if they will bring the cat tomorrow or not, I hope so, but we’ll see!  

1 comment:

  1. Becca,

    It's so good to hear about your adventures in Malawi! I've just spent the last half an hour on your blog reading your posts and looking at the pictures. I love them all so please keep them coming!!

    I continue to pray for you and hope all remains well.

    Love you Becca,

    Ellyse

    ReplyDelete